Bryn Mawr (pronounced /ˌbrɪnˈmɑːr/; from Welsh for "great hill") is a census-designated place (CDP) in Radnor Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, Haverford Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania and Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, just west of Philadelphia along Lancaster Avenue (US-30) and the border with Delaware County. Bryn Mawr is located toward the center of what is known as the Main Line, a group of affluent Philadelphia suburban villages stretching from the city limits to Malvern. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 3,779. Bryn Mawr is home to Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr is named after an estate near Dolgellau in North Wales that belonged to Rowland Ellis. He was a Quaker who emigrated in 1686 to Pennsylvania from Dolgellau to escape religious persecution.
Until 1869 and the coming of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the town was known as Humphreysville. The town was renamed by railroad agent William H. Wilson after he acquired on behalf of the railroad the 283 acres (1.15 km2) that now compose Bryn Mawr.
In 1893, the first hospital, Bryn Mawr Hospital, was built on the Main Line by Dr. George Gerhard.
Are you interested in buying or selling real estate in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania? Contact the Coleman Kellam Team for information about available Radnor real estate listings, area attractions, and desirable residential developments.
Content source: Wikipedia.org